Sunday, January 22, 2006

Killing the "Philosopher's Pain"

Even when you understand the value of discipline, it is still very difficult to implement all you know very well. This is the source of what I would like to call the "Philosopher's Pain", in that he knows what must be done but still cannot do it because he is weak. I can suggest two methods for this. One way is to throw yourself into the line of fire, where you have no option but to change. For example, joining the army. Now, there's no way out, and you have to discipline yourself. Another very good option never occurred to me until now...

Whenever you make a choice, ask yourself, "Did I choose this option so that it is easier and I don't have to move out of my zone of comfort?" If the answer is yes, and if you still have a choice, choose the harder option, where you will have to punish yourself. "Punish" is a term that I am using in a very different sense, of course. Even if you fail in the harder option, you have gained from within. You have become stronger, and that is all that matters.