Monday, December 05, 2005

General Discourse on Life 1

The most talented people among us rarely ever accomplish anything in their field of talent. Human beings thrive on challenges. Our greatest achievements have not been because we had to achieve what we did, but because we loved to take up the challenge. Think of it, who wants to be at 29000 feet with a deficiency of oxygen and a strong wind blowing in your face, at temperatures way below zero! I am speaking, of course, about the summit of Mount Everest. What made people go there was the challenge of reaching the summit in the first place.

The problem with the most talented people among us is that they rarely find anything challenging in the first place, and thus they find most things not worth achieving. They know far too well that if they do put in some effort, they will be able to do it anyway. The lucky few among this group actually find something worth striving for in their field of talent. When they do, we get legends. I would not like to name any one legend, because I honestly know very few or maybe none. I do not consider any damn person in the world a legend right now. A legend should be the most outstanding person of his field for about a hundred years before and or after his time.

Talking of great people, I have realized the way the Americans quickly jump onto any damn fool, package him well, and call him the greatest person ever in any field. Again, I would not like to name anyone, but a field that I can suggest is climbing.

That's all for today I don't feel inspired or full of great ideas.