Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A suggestion on the "Standard of Living" concept

I have already talked about the virtues of doing every little thing that you do extraordinarily well, from the viewpoint of being peaceful in life. (See my older post called "The Truth About Happiness")

What I would like to do now is talk about the idea of "Standard of Living" and what it has to do with the idea expressed above.

To begin with, by "Standard of Living", I mean the quality of the life that a person or a society lives. Which is simply to say that it means how happily a person or a society lives. Any other idea of the Standard of Living is rather useless to me because it does not tell me what I want to know.

Now, I strongly feel that the standard of living of a person or a society is seen in its most ordinary and unimportant actions. If those actions are done properly (or even better, extraordinarily well,) I would suggest that the standard of living of that person or society is very high.

This is because the very fact that unimportant and ordinary things are being done well suggests a commitment to quality. Only a commitment to quality and an active pursuit of it ensures real happiness in my opinion.

* This post relies on three important ideas;

1. Extraordinary teams and extraordinary persons do ordinary things extraordinarily well. - A line used by many people including Shiv Khera, Greg Chappell and Stephen Covey.
2. Swami Vivekananda, an Indian guru, once said that if you want to really see the merits of a yogi, do not see how he meditates, see how he makes his bed. ( This is closely related to '1' above)
3. The post is an extension of my ideas in "The Truth About Happiness.")